DianHua Audio Dictionary app for iPhone and iPad
9424 ratings )
Current version: 4.0.6
, last update: 9 months ago
First release : 17 Mar 2009
App size: 256.08 Mb
DianHua Audio Dictionary is a Chinese English Dictionary and Study Tool for iOS including audio pronunciation of all words and phrases. Using data from the CC-CEDICT project, DianHua Audio Dictionary provides search support for English, Mandarin Pinyin (with or without tones), Traditional Characters, Simplified Characters, and mixed searches consisting of any combination of the above.
Other features of the DianHua Audio Dictionary include:
- Audio: Hear clear pronunciations of all entries in the dictionary.
- Search History: All search terms entered into the Search field are stored in your Search History. Touch any term in the list to see the results.
- Bookmarks: Arrange all of the words you are studying into a nested hierarchy of Folders.
- Writing Practice: Under the Study tab, you can practice typing or writing characters using any of the iPhones Simplified or Traditional keyboards, including the character drawing keyboards. Choose whether you want to see Pinyin and/or English for the prompt and draw or type the appropriate Chinese character into the box provided.
- Flashcards: Select any combination of Audio, Traditional, Simplified, English, and Pinyin for the Front and Back of the cards and grade your confidence in your answer. If you choose to use the Difficulty sorting algorithm, more difficult words will be shown more often than words you tend to answer correctly.
- Numbers: Convert numeric entries to Simplified and/or Traditional variants including their Banking equivalents. Touch the audio icon to hear arbitrary numbers spoken.
- DianHuaDictionary.com: Search from your browser, sync between multiple devices, export, and import data.
Samples of the audio included in the DianHua Audio Dictionary may be found
on the JSQ, LLC web site.
Pros and cons of DianHua Audio Dictionary app for iPhone and iPad
DianHua Audio Dictionary app good for
Being able to draw characters in this app would make it EXCELLENT. Please implement this!! Would recommend to everyone I meet
It does exactly what they advertise. Quick and easy to work with. Clear pronunciation, good search engine.
I have been waiting for a good audio dictionary to come out and so far it looks to be very accurate and useful as I already knew a few words before. My GF and her family speak Chinese and I dont so learning Chinese is a must. Hopefully with this new dictionary version 2.0 combined with the audio will help me learn more little by little. A must get if you already have the dictionary and fair price!
The sounds are clear and at a speed which makes it easy to recognize the tones. My only suggestion would be to link the sounds to the study flashcards in the dictionary. When I use the flashcards to study, it would be great if I could access the sounds to confirm my pronunciation. ，谢谢
Thank you. Now this app is awesome and well worth the Money. This will really help me learn now. Highly recommended!! Thanks
It was really annoying to switch back and forth between the two applications to just listen to the pronounciation. This inconvenience is now resolved. Can you guys allow all words be pronounced instead of me hunting from the list to see which ones have the pronounciation logo?
Some bad moments
just upgraded to 4.0 and:
- app crashes twice before actually starting. every time.
- if i try to log in it wont let me
- if i skip log in it will warn me i should log in, anyway finally starts
- tried to search english, pinyin, chinese characters: will search forever and no result
to cu a long story short: new app simply wont work, it needs a mega bug fix earlier than asap
The audio package is OK and one can definitely benefit from it. There is a lack of example to demostrate usage of the words. The total unit is rather quite disapponting.
Ive used this app for years; loved it. Newest update has rendered the app useless. Please fix!
I just updated this application. It looks like the icon for the app changed. Nice.
Only problem now is that it doesnt even open anymore. When I tap the icon the screen appears to open then closes immediately.
Please fix this issue.
Huge improvements on the layout and ease of use - great work. Epic fail on the audio - it no longer plays on my iPad. Now I have to make sure I dont accidentally update my iPhone otherwise the audio version of this app was a total waste. Shame - I do love the new app style.